Friday, February 5, 2010

Rhetoric 2

I'm currently in the process of trying to buy a more fuel efficient car and I came across this ad from a private party on Craigslist.
Are you interested in saving “big bucks” on gas? This is the perfect car for you. A Honda Civic Hybrid gets around 500-560 miles to a tank, which is around 50 miles to a gallon with gas being expensive this would a great choice of a car if you are looking to save gas money.
This ad had logos written all over it! At first thought it might seem that it was written by a dealership by the way it was pitched. Later, I found that it was a private party hoping to strike the car buyers attention by saving gas money. As more and more car buyers are looking to reduce their gas consumption this ad I though was good for someone who has not done much research on these types of cars. It has good facts but they are too broad and not specific enough. I have found through research that these types of cars get 48 mpg on the freeway and 47 in town. That for me would of been more specific and informative.

Since the begging of my car shopping experience I have focused my attention on the Honda Civic Hybrid, because I commute from Centralia to Vancouver two times a week and I'm looking to reduce my gas expenditures. Even though I might be interested in buying this car, not because of the sales pitch as i already knew the car offered good mpg's and more for the specifics like the mileage,tires and hybrids in general having a good sound battery.

3 comments:

J. Farmer said...

wow Centralia is a long commute. Buying a hybrid would be a good investment.

The Mighty Kat said...

Do you think this ad writer knew he only needed to use logos because he knew his audience? It sounds like it was all you needed, and you're the target audience.

K.S.Worland said...

I wonder if you can remember what the first ad you saw of the civic hybrid was. It sounds like that is the ad that won you over! 47 miles to the galon seems incredible! I remember when my car's 36 miles per gallon was like a dream come true compared to my previous "21 miles per gallon if im lucky" car! I hope you find a car you can call "ol reliable" some day!